Friday, June 05, 2009

Digging for roots

Wanted to watch “Who do you think you are” tonight, last rerun of the Nigella Lawson episode. The new TV receiver box broke down and the new one wont work, besides from all the scrambled channels and two free. Too bad... I’m very interested in researching family roots. Seems this Swedish channel picked five episodes from the six seasons on BBC - celebrities we can recognize in our little dear country up North. Luckily, they aired the Stephen Fry episode before the TV box broke, so I could watch and tape it. Love his work... my boyfriend said I must find Fry appealing, but I said I prefer his more brain-related talents. Borrowed one of Fry’s novels from the library recently, one that hasn’t been mangled through translation. Haven’t read it yet.

Speaking of looking for roots, I’ve converted my investigation of my Moms roots to html. Easier to get the whole picture. Have been reading old church records, colleting names and data, and try to get as far back in history as possible. Feel bad, somehow, to be upset with some priests jotted handwriting quarter of a millennia ago.

Interesting when there are books about people and customs in a specific vicinity and come across a little old lady being interviewed that states “In that collection of houses they supposedly had the power of witchcraft”, realizing that must be my ancestors she’s talking about! Witchcraft running in my veins, eh? Neat. Hoping to look up the emigrants. Very, very many people migrated to the States. Maybe they met someone and had a family. Fascinating to find out how they managed. Easier to research if you’re Mormon, unfortunately. No royal blood so far, just farmers. Common people. Finding out that they stayed in the same area for maybe 400 years. Always felt wrong to have moved this far south, far from my ancestral roots.