Wednesday, March 22, 2006

March 13 – Curt Swan book

Had been waiting for a decent price on eBay, but finally I spotted a good deal, and today it arrived – my very own “A life in comics” hardback, a tribute to artist Curt Swan, who’s always been my favorite comics penciller. His work was the essence of Superman comics and he carried on for so long, from the sixties to the nineties! I was totally gone in my own little Superman world, checking the book from first page to the last, and then I had to check it all over again.

One funny thing was that Curt’s thought of as being a skilled facial expression penciller, and I smiled and thought of a particular panel in a particular comic, the one where all kryptonite’s turned into iron and he munches some to prove his point. On the next page in the book, that very panel was chosen to display Curt’s talent! Spooky.

What I didn’t fancy was that the silly mailman insists on putting bulky shipments on top of my letterbox, or underneath in the mud or snow. This is a big book and surely it was placed atop a number of letterboxes along the road. The biggest shipment I had to collect that way was the one containing my plush Stay Puft, including more stuff than the toy. Another was an LP, Ray Parker Jr’s first in Raydio, and it was lying in the mud. An evil neighbor could have stolen the stuff! The horror!