Friday, August 28, 2009

Real GB voices on DVD


Went to the mailbox right away when I woke up, and the DVDs had indeed arrived! Someone seems to be stealing our mail, and I wouldn’t let anyone get a chance to take this package away from me. The Real Ghostbusters DVD has four voiceovers: English, Spanish, French and German. It was such a joy to discover that it was indeed the German TV version, not the videotape one. Have a few of those on original tapes… perfect if you feel like squirming in horror. Never heard it sound so crisp and the picture quality was top notch! Now I can finally say I have all the German TV episodes, because the first episode “Ghosts R Us” got messed up by rainy weather when I tried to tape it via satellite. Never thought there would be a day I could actually buy it!

Quite amusing to flip through the various voiceovers. Happy about the Spanish version, really good, even if I don’t speak it. Well, French… they sure messed it up. Slimer was horrible, he had a deep voice! As my boyfriend put it regarding the French and Spanish Egon versions, “They don’t ever get Egon right, do they”. Amen to that! Worst Egon must be the British storybook version I have on audiotape, and Dutch is bad. Swedish Ernblad is okay, I figure, and I’m hard to please. Oh, and the obscure German Egon… terror.

Caught myself trying to tune into the Swedish voiceover on the DVD, but they didn’t include it. That’s so odd. They went through a lot of hard work making it, and it’s not on the Swedish release. It’s just incredible how much a TV-series changes with different voiceovers. As I said, I’ll always fancy the German version the most. They said they loved dubbing it and that really shows. “Winston” mailed me many years ago and included a group photo of the four, and you can feel the vibe, who’s impersonating each character. I’m still ashamed about mentioning this, because I got told off regarding voiceovers, but it’s still fascinating – besides, this is my blog, so sod off.

Surely had to check the subtitles and there was quite a bunch. The Swedish ones were so packed with mistakes! They should have asked me… but as my boyfriend pointed out, I don’t give out my e-mail address, and why would the DVD company bother anyway. Wish I could read Hindi, or Turkish. Watched several episodes and was delighted. Most peculiar that this DVD release has got much better picture quality than the collectors DVD edition! Too bad they excluded the episode title snippets with white text on black background.

The Extreme Ghostbusters DVD had those four voiceovers, too. The German version was the same as on TV, which I keep on tape. No Swedish voices, but the subtitling in Swedish was okay, at least the one I checked. Don’t feel as much about EGB as RGB, but cool to hear other versions. Why does it have that pixelisation? It must be produced that way. Looked the same on my American tapes, DVDs and on the air – when the picture freezes, there’s pixels. My boyfriend said EGB has better animation than RGB, but I strongly disagreed, at least when it comes to the nice looking early RGB episodes. He said that’s because I’m a puritan. We watched “Deadliners”, which I tend to call “The Craniac episode”, and the first two episodes. Always grumble about that nosebleed bit – Egon was underground many times in RGB and didn’t get a nosebleed.

Went to the grocery store in the afternoon and I was a proud fan at that point, so I wore a sleeveless tee. He sneaked up on me a growled “Vielleicht ist er tot” into my Ghostbusters tattoo and for a split second I thought it was some insane German guy attacking me. That’d be Eduardo’s catch phrase “Maybe he’s dead”. German Eddie’s voice is good, I figure. Best of the lot is, of course, original Kylie. Surely hit the honeypot. Goofed a bit with a packet of cookies and spoke like German Slimer in the store, “Kekse! Lecker!”, because he’s the only voice I can imitate. Nice that Herbst is lending his voice in RGB as well as EGB. My boyfriend said he’d give a lot for watching him record a Slimer session.

Even drew two pictures of Janine today, one displayed above. Didn’t like the outcome, but my boyfriend said I can’t seem to judge my own stuff, because he thought they were good. All in all, it was a very good Ghostbuster day.